Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Inevitable Change in Season Observation

The air is starting to thicken in Toronto which can only mean that it's summer! Kind of! It's still a little cold at night, but who gives a shit about the weather? Today it is only important because it reminded me of a film I watched a few months ago, "Swimming Pool" by François Ozon. When it was released theatrically I wanted to see it badly because the poster was so SUMMER. And so I watched it four years later.

It's a beautiful and odd little domestic thriller that somehow reminded me of Marie Antoinette (dir. Sofia Coppola). Both Ozon and Coppola capture the mundane, quiet moments of life in a picturesque yet authentic way. Of course it helps that these picturesque moments happen in Versailles and the French countryside, but in my head this is how summer in Toronto appears. In my head.






























































*also, how much does Charlotte Rampling resemble Audrey Tautou? Perhaps it is the heat. J'excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment